You have no items in your shopping cart.
You have no items in your shopping cart.
History Of George E. Darsey & Co.
According to Mr. Foster "George had $465 and I had $765...We had a pretty hard time getting started off, but we soon began to make money." Mr. Darsey bought out Mr. Foster's share in 1886 and continued the business under his own name, George E. Darsey. The original store was a frame building and housed a wide variety of merchandise. Mr. Darsey sold dry goods, furniture, groceries, and all types of farm equipment. As the business grew, he replaced the original building with a large brick building, 27' by 125' in 1898. According to the Crockett Courier, it was the first brick building in Grapeland. While visiting in Georgia, George encouraged his first cousin, William Grey Darsey, to move to Texas to help him in his business. William Grey Darsey moved to Grapeland in 1900. On his arrival in Grapeland, he went to work for George and slept in Darsey's Store at night. In the early days, the town was wild and wooly and it was a common occurrence for the bullies to go up and down the street at night and shoot the lights out in the stars.
Charley & Ann Darsey
George E. Darsey Sr.
George E. Darsey & Co.
1St Generation and Founders
MAN WITH BLACK VEST & WHITE SHIRT HOLDING COTTON IS GEORGE E. DARSEY SR.
Darseys Early days we sold everything from barrells of whiskey to dining room tables to ladies hats and shoes.
The new Store building built in 1913 was 75' by 125' and occupied the two lots his main store building had occupied plus the adjoining lot. It had no interior walls, but was divided into three main sections- hardware and groceries, furniture and housewares, and dry goods. This building opened onto Front Street and the alley behind the store through two doors and also onto the side street through one door. The office was at the rear of the store on a platform surrounded by a railing. There were four sets of stairs leading up to the platform. The backstairs led into the office and the front stairs joined a walkway for the customers to use in front of the railing to come up to pay accounts or borrow money to lay in their crops. The office contained a large brick vault to keep records and deeds safe in case of fire. They also had a large safe for money. Many of the customers left their deeds and other valuable papers at Darsey's for safekeeping. They also had used Darsey's Store as a depository for their money before the bank was established. This large vault had been a part of the original brick building before the town burned and had many valuable papers of the people of the community in it. George Darsey did not allow the vault to be opened for a week after the town fire. He was afraid that the heat from the bricks of the vault might cause the papers inside to ignite when it was opened. After it cooled, the vault was opened and everything inside was found to be intact.
The business was operated as a proprietorship until 1917 when a family partnership was formed, including W.G. Darsey Sr. and S.N. Boykin Sr. as members of the firm. This partnership continued until 1930, when the death of George E. Darsey Sr. brought his wife, Mrs. Lorena Murchison Darsey, and their children, George E. Darsey Jr., Mrs. Leon Anderson, M.E. Darsey Sr., and Mrs. Frank Grandberry into the partnership. In 1953, George E. Darsey Jr. and his son Charley C. Darsey bought out the interest of the other members of the family. An interior wall had been built to separate the dry goods section of the store from the rest and was rented to Wallace Pate. George E. Darsey and Charley continued to operate the grocery, appliance, and hardware sections.
The partnership between George E. Jr. and Charley continued until the death of George E. Darsey Jr. Charley Darsey now owns and operates the business. This business was operated as a country store and was a family type business. Various members of the family worked in the many varied departments of the store. Joe Darsey and J.S. Darsey worked hardware, W.G. Darsey and George E. Darsey Jr. were office managers and cotton and produce buyers. M.E. Darsey Sr. managed the dry goods section aided by Miss Loye Darsey, Miss Mable Boykin, Starley Boykin Sr., and Mrs. Maggie Darsey. As the children and grandchildren grew they were taken into the business as egg counters, sackers, and delivery boys until they were trained to handle more responsible positions. Darsey's Store employed not only family members, but offered many young people their first job and furnished jobs for many families down through the years. During the depression years of 1930s as the young men who were sons of the employees and owners graduated from college, jobs were very short. They were given jobs by Darsey's Store to drive cotton trucks to Galveston.
Mr. Will Darsey jokingly stated that only boys with college degrees could drive trucks for Darseys. The early day business of Darsey's Store included everything from selling mules to buying cotton; from selling whiskey by the barrel to yarn for knitting. They sold feed, crocks, churns, well dippers, horse collars, nails, furniture, vegetables, high button shoes, clothes, Madam Alexander dolls, sporting goods, lumber, steamer trunks, coffins, and Huff mobiles. They bought many products from the local farmer and paid him with Darsey tokens ranging from a 5.00 dollar to a 5 cent piece. In the Augusta news section of the Grapeland Messenger of 1907, their local reporter stated that 'If you cannot find what you need in the Augusta stores then you should go to Grapeland because George Darsey sells everything from toothpicks to ocean liners.' Darsey's Store also served the function of an early day bank. Farmers would borrow money by the year to make a crop and pay in the fall when the crop was gathered. Some people simply deposited their receipts with Mr. Darsey and wrote orders against his money.
In 1907, George E. Darsey Sr. was one of the organizers of the first bank in Grapeland, the Farmers and Merchants State Bank. In 1988 Charley Hill Darsey graduated from college at Sam Houston State University and joined the business with father Charley C. Darsey. Charley married Tonya K. Darsey in 1990, and they have 2 children, Haley Ann Darsey & Linda Brooke Darsey. 1993 Charley & Tonya purchased George E. Darsey & Co. Inc. from Charley & Ann Darsey , that included Darseys Grocery, Darseys Appliance, and any other entity of the Corporations Assets. March 1999 Charley & Tonya closed the grocery division of George E. Darsey & Co. Inc. and sold the grocery inventory to Cathy & Billy Hobson of Grapeland and allowed them to use the name “Darseys Grocery”. Their business began in March of 1999 and is not affiliated in any way to GEORGE E. DARSEY & CO. INC. OR CHARLEY HILL & TONYA DARSEY. GEORGE E. DARSEY & CO. A Texas Corporation Proudly serving East Texas since 1886, is better known as “Darseys Furniture” or “Darseys” . George E. Darsey & Co. Inc. Sells top name brands like Broyhill, Sealy, La-z-boy, Ashley Furniture, Vaughan-Bassett, England Corsair, Mayo, Yankee Candles and Tyler Candles, this goes along with our slogan-
"Wall To Wall We Sell It All!"
After the death of his father, Charley & Tonya decided to move George E. Darsey & Co. Inc. to it’s new location on the loop of Grapeland and venture into the furniture, and mattress business.
Darseys Furniture Moved 1999 to 2009 now a part of the current building via our walkway. Used primarly for storage.
Tornado damage May 2009 Ripped the roof off our warehouse built in 1913 by George E. Darsey Sr. The warehouse was constructed to serve as a temporary home for the business when a fire destroyed the town in 1913. This building served as business headquarters until the brick building was completed. Nearly 100 years later, in May of 2009, a tornado caused the destruction of the warehouse. Once again, George E. Darsey & Co. had to regroup and decide a course of action. The decision was made to build a new showroom on HWY 287 in Grapeland. The Darsey family made the decision to stay in Grapeland and Houston County and support the community that has helped it thrive for more than 100 years.
This cash register is around 100 years old, was purchased by George E. Darsey SR. in the late 1800's early 1900's. This National Cash Register machine was used in the Company and now is fully restored and has been in the family for over a hundred years. This NCR register was restored by Charley H. Darsey in honor of his parents Charley C. and Ann Darsey for their long service to George E. Darsey & Co, their community and their family. George E. Darsey & Co. is live and well as this register the ownership was as follows. George E. Darsey Sr. to George E. Darsey Jr. to Charley C. Darsey and now to Charley H. & Tonya Darsey. Please come by and see the register and have a cup of coffee. Friends are always welcome.
Click Here to see a full version of our History produced for our 125th Anniversary Celebration!